Monday, September 28, 2009

Moebius *My Way


Oohh, this was oodles of fun and so much less of a hassle to knit it flat and join it later.

I used a provisional crochet cast-on and some superwash merino, either dk or sock weight and size 10.5 needles. The yarn was almost slippery and I kept unknitting rows and reknitting them because I got lost in the pattern. But really, it is a super easy pattern. One row, repeat and repeat. It's the One Row Lace Scarf.


A scarf so nice, I made it twice. This one was much much easier, being a bit heavier yarn. 50% Kid mohair, 50% Merino Oak Grove Yarns in Vermont. Yummamente.


It's still lacy but will be a tad bit more draft resisting in this yarn. You may think...What is Melody doing with those colors? (no fuchsia, turquoise or orange?) I found this yarn and lots of other hand dyed colors at a quilt show back when I was teaching in PA several years ago. I bought one of each of all the colors and couldn't quite work this into anything I was currently making. But I LOVE this yarn. So finally I found this project to use it.

Here's how I made a moebius from a flat scarf. Using the provisonal cast on stitches and the live stitches I gave the scarf a twist and did a three needle bind off to join. Simple. And the 'seam' gets hidden in the folded end. Which also is a nice place to keep your car keys.

That's not too icky lookin' is it?

11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Melody! I don't knit, so I'm skipping over knit-talk, but I love the results AND the colors! Someday I'll learn how to use those needles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Looks like it worked out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both came out great, and I love the colors. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ursula10:26 AM

    I want to make one too :)
    Why did you not join it with the Kitchener stitch like you were planning to? Is the 3 Needle Bind-off
    stronger?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ursula, the kitcher was too difficult with the yarn overs involved and things kept slipping and getting me angry. So to fix that I ended the scarf in a row of knitting and that looked noticeable and would have to be hidden in the fold anyway, so why not do the 3 needle bind off. It is stronger in this case, but I was just out of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, Mel. It LOOKS like something I could handle, and it would be so much fun to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i particularly like the blue one

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Melody, I like this way so much better! Thanks for sharing YOUR way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Melody,

    You're so busy!! I love every new adventure and can't wait to get up and check out your blog. Have you checked out this website? Interesting!! https://www.ravelry.com
    Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for this--I have been trying to decipher the ones that twist as they are made (huh?...math...me? I'm beyond it I am afraid) this looks do-able. My one question: where do the car keys go?

    ReplyDelete
  11. very tempting to try to use up some one my handspun, just need to learn to knot!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com