Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Water and Watercolors



This was our pond last fall after a long summer drought. The banks show that the water level was very low, but this horrid drain pipe in the middle of the pond is the real visual aid.


And now here is the pond, and the water level today.

Almost all of that drainpipe is submerged. Although it stopped raining yesterday, the water level continues to rise from ground water and runoff.


Suddenly I am not hating that drainpipe after all. The house sits up another 6 feet or so, but still, it's early Spring and more rain is expected.


So taking advantage of the muddy ground... I got out my paints.

Watercolors. I collect them. I never use them.
Guilt.
These are new. On sale. My excuse.

One of my watercolor books said to sharpen some sticks to draw into the paint.

And here is the mess I made with the paint. It was fun and I'll leave it all out to make more messes.



Messy is better than neat. I did neat when I was a kid. I wanted to be a good painter then. Now I just want to be a better painter than I used to be. I have no illusions about being a great painter.


I think I'll call this Exploding Red Chair.


Watercolor on Cotman 140lb. Watercolor block 14x10"



Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:56 AM

    This just terrific! What a interesting idea, sticks!
    LYN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:31 PM

    Melody, you make it seem so easy, as if you just globbed on paint and used the sticks to make a perfect piece of art work. In fact, if an ordinary Ms Joe, like me, were to do the same thing it would be ripe for the garbage bin!!!
    I think it takes more than just playing around with paint, it takes expertise to produce a piece like this....not possible with all the tubes of Schminke I possess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:34 PM

    Oh, and you can use anything to 'abuse' your leinwand too, knitting needles, combs, hard wire brushes...just about anything you can find in your household. I did learn all of these things and still can't paint didly squat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors, so happy and spring like. I was seeing a butterfly in the painting until I read your title! Love it all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the watercolor! very juicy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:23 AM

    wow! You did great works with your paints. Maybe I'll try something with all those sale paints I've collected, too! quiltking

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com