Tuesday, October 16, 2007

It works!!





My crazy idea for a design wall turned out to be a good idea after all. I wanted to have a removable wall in this studio, since my mind keeps achangin' regularly here. In my old studio we nailed the pinup panels to the wall, which meant lots of holes, and often the nails came loose, grrr. So this time in this much smaller studio I had an idea to make a removable pinup wall that would hang the same way I hang my art, from a shelf standard bar, using S hooks.


The bars are screwed to the wall or the ceiling, depending on what works best in the site.


The wall is composed of a sheet of paper backed insulation that comes in 4x8' sheets, too big to fit in my car, so I had it cut in half. Then I taped it back together and cut it down to 4x6'. I just happened to have a leftover piece of white felt from my previous studio and lying there on the banister was a folded up polyester shower curtain liner from our old bathroom, with the GROMMETS already in place. Could this work as a case for the insulation panel?
YUP!
The felt is on the front and the shower curtain part is on the back. Nice little pillowcased edges.


I sewed three sides of the case and then inserted the panel and it fit snug as a bug. I happened to have some brass safety pins handy, and those closed the top from the back side.





These wonderful S hooks will also be used to hang canvases from this shelf rod when I am taking photos of paintings. Stretched canvases need to be hung, not pinned for the best photos. Now I can easily remove the pinup wall when I need to, and hang it again in seconds.


Sometimes I impress myself.


All this cost was the $10 for the insulation, everything else was recycled. Green Mel.


Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I'm filing this idea for future reference.
    (Happy to hear you're settling in nicely, Mel.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you don't mind but the email on your website wouldn't work for me, don't get worried as its most likley me with this stupid vista as its done it before. I love your work and have it bookmarked and l am always ddrooling at the designs aand colour as that's the mmain thing in my textile aart.
    WWhat l would love to ask you as have looked at your matchstick moons for ages as l love them but this is the question,are the matchsticks fabric or painted, if you would tell me but want to keep it a secret l understand but if not this is my email,
    jillsmithart@googlemail.com
    Thanks for your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freaking brilliant! Me likey. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genius! As always!

    Life's been a whirlwind since Monterey, but man that was a great class! Thanks so much, and I'll be sending you pix when I get my little quilts finished up.

    Candy in California

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Goodness me - not only do you impress yourself you brilliant person - but you impress me too.

    I LOVE the pinup board and am going to copy it!! No shame me. It's perfect for a smaller space (ie. London flat) and one in which it might need to move.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a Green-ya-ious [phonetic]I plan to put your idea for a pinup wall to use for moi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to hear things like that - you are getting settled in ways that are very creative!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com