Thursday, January 25, 2007

Cherry Street


Cherry Street
Hand dyed cottons, fused, hand and machine quilted
12" squareish


I was inspired by the coloration of the strip on the left. The dye made this curvy form and I had to be begin with that section and find fabrics that coordinated with it.


The dye in the strip moved from fuchsia to red to orange to yellow, and I found those colors in large supply in my stash. I wanted to make another Grape Street layout and since I have only photos of it now, I had to print out a copy as a reference. It is much easier to start from scratch than to try to copy a picture. Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. Mmm. Nice. Love the very dark area on the right, and LOVE what your quilting adds.

    -- Vicki in Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the coloration.
    Isn't that a big artsy-fartsy technical word?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:27 PM

    LOL, are those dots meant to represent the traffic signal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very clever! I hadn't thought of that. Now why aren't they green, yellow and red?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work Mel! It even looks good here in Japan. See you when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:46 AM

    Well Ms Mel, they aren't green, yellow and red because that is your 'right' as an artist to make your 'traffic signals' any color you want...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:20 PM

    Melody the colors are wonderful. A technical question if you don't mind....When you hand stitch likes this (I assume it is hand stitching), what needle works well for you how many threads? I assume you are working through three layers?
    Sallianne

    ReplyDelete
  8. It´s so fun to look at your lovely quilts and your fine photos, you gave me so much inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com