Friday, December 22, 2006


Amarilloville

Amarilloville
18" square Acrylic on gallery wrapped canvas


I am beginning to think that starting a painting without an idea in my head is a good thing. With this effort I began by painting the whole canvas in a wash of yellow to orange. After that dried, I layered on some more transparent paint and let that form puddles. Into those puddles I placed some bubble wrap and a plastic mesh bag. One is supposed to wait until everything dries and then remove the stuff, but I was anxious, so I took it off early. Still there were some shapes that remained.
Then I had to figure out what I to do with this start. More paint, and lines and soon shapes started making sense. Sort of.

Detail of the orchards and vineyards
behind the houses

This side of the painting started working first and I went with the idea of a landscape.

The Town Hall, with more farmland above it.

Later on I decided that the center area needed a bigger house shape and made that happen. All the textures made from the stuff I placed on the canvas started looking like farm fields or orchards. OK, we'll go with that.
So I am not going to fret much anymore when I find myself devoid of ideas. I'll just let the paint tell me what to do.

6 comments:

  1. Woooshhhh! You are really flying now... this one just sings and has a really cool swoopy curve happening, too. Nice, hot colors, too.

    Are you having fun? ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:50 AM

    Are you having fun or what!!! Great pieces...always makes my day and that's a good thing. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:30 AM

    WOW! I really, really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, one of my favourites of your recent work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this one is really fun, too bad you can't stitch the canvas and enter it into tactile architecture :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:36 AM

    Damn woman, you are on a roll!!

    teri

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com