Friday, October 27, 2006

Unfashion
=

Ever watch that show What Not to Wear? The premise is that several friends nominate another friend for a fashion makeover. The hosts make the fashion victim bring all her clothes to New York where the make her toss them out on camera.
One miserable thing at a time. Most of the gals state that they like a certain piece (or their entire wardrobe) because it is comfortable. Apparently that is not a good enough reason to own the garment. I have been scouring my closet in this manner, and removing the offending garments, as I don't have a free ticket to NY and I can do this task without the camera.
My alltime favorite ugly comfort garment is a black sweatshirt jacket unlike any sweatshirt jacket that you know. It is long, like a blazer, has no ribbing but has a nice hem. It buttons down the front, does not grabbass, and has two large pockets for the inevitable pen, kleenex and car keys. It doubles as a robe, studio smock and a car coat. It is ancient, has a million pilly spots and is no long truly black. It has to go. Finding a replacement is difficult to impossible, but I was determined and went to my fave TJMAXX with this in mind.
I spent two hours in the store and came up with nothing even remotely worthy. Mostly everything fits like it is made for apes with 20" hips. Sleeves are four inches longer than my arms and there were no styles that buttoned at all, and if there were pockets, they weren't usuable. I left feeling like I would never be able to replace my pal. I was downcast.
I had dressed for success, but neglected to note that rain was predicted. When I ran to my car, it was pouring and my shoes and socks took the brunt. The list of errands loomed large and there would be many more mad dashes to the car and back. I hate to grocery shop in a downpour, but there I was about to run through the puddles once more. In the next strip mall I glimpsed the resale shop sign. Aha! Maybe I can find a something dry to wear to keep me on task, errandwise.
In ten minutes I found a brand new lined Totes raincoat, in my size for $8, a brand new turquoise panne velvet shirt for $1.50 and a replacement jacket, also $1.50. I love the rumdum!

This is it! Form fitting (think fashion) two good pockets and a breast pocket, and black double knit cotton. All the buttons match. Amazing. I can retire the old one now.


Finished the second sock. Found several new socks that fit Dave. Started a matching the socks hat. We wear hats to bed around here when it is really cold. Some of us don't have hair to keep us warm. Not mentioning any names.


Just in time for Halloween.

16 comments:

  1. really nice socks!

    and great that the shopping trip ended up being a big success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:23 AM

    I can't believe you found such a great looking jacket when you were looking for it!! It's so flattering.
    (Fabulous socks!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those socks are WONDERFUL!! Luv luv luv them!!! I want a pair JUST LIKE them!!! :D I don't know how to knit...wish I did. And your jacket is great! Glad you found one that works! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the socks! Wish I could knit beyond the basics. However I'd never be able to wear the socks here in warm southern california where I no longer can wear sweaters (age adds to this problem as well ... does one ever cool down after 60?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:33 AM

    Why should you throw away a favorite garment just because some trumped up TV show says to?
    You, Oh Goddess-of-the-Dyepot, should take said favorite-jacket-that-does-not-grabbass and breathe new life into it! DYE THAT PUPPY!
    Give it a dunk in red, or plum or SOMETHING to cover up the not-so-blackness anymore. Put some NEW flashy buttons on it and you have a new/old jacket that looks fab, is comfy beyond words AND does not grabbass.
    And please post pics when you are done!
    Love ya!
    Denise in Kentuckiana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:36 AM

    Why should you throw away a fav jacket just 'cause some trumped up TV show says to?
    You, OH Goddess of the Dyepot, should bring that favorite jacket back to life!
    Throw it in some dye to cover up the not-so-black and put new sparkly buttons on it.
    VIOLA!
    You have a new/old jacket that looks fabulous AND does not grabbass.
    And please - post pics when you are done.
    Love ya!
    A fellow dyepot junkie and recycler at heart

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that show. Mr C and I watch reruns at lunch time. I still love comfy clothes, but I have really started to try to look for some clothes with structure. And, I do look better. I just have a very weird body. No boobs, and big hips and not much of a waistline. I'm built like a fireplug!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those socks are the greatest... good shopping karma for you that day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:58 PM

    Love that show, too...I wonder how many "keep the look" after the show is over....

    Can anyone go in TJ MAXX and/or Marshall's and come out without something? If this is possible please let me know?????

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:31 PM

    just don't throw out the comfort food of your closet until after the second wash of the new and improved.
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  11. the socks are wild! I love that they look so festive. Something like that to brighten up the dreary winter glooms. and the jacket, how great is it that you found it in the resale shop. karma eh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:02 PM

    The socks are brilliant! But, wearing a hat to bed??? Would drive me batty. But then, I hate wearing a hat anyway....

    teri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just reading a mention of the rumdum on your blog sent my into paroxysisms. Or something that looks like that but is spelled correctly. Don't tell Terry about wearing hats to bed; we're still trying to get him to not burp like a girl around here.
    And yes, they do sell clear plastic shoes, somewhere in this world I remember seeing such a thing. Probably on one of your knitting links. But I can't imagine them being comfortable. Can you get away with Birkenstocks with those socks? Or how about knitting a gusset for a thong? A flip flop, silly, not underpants!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanna see the Totes raincoat and the turquoise panne velvet shirt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:15 AM

    I am salivating(?), feeling excited and think I've got the 'hots' for knitting yarn....save me someone please!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com