Sunday, September 17, 2006


Weekend Work

9 Leaves
15x19"
Cotton, fused, hand and machine quilted and embroidered

Detail
I will be teaching Leaf Collections in Janesville WI this week, and it's always nice to have a new version to bring along.
Then I decided it was time to repair the weaknesses in Stardust. I removed the too-light stars.

Pile of ripped off stars

They were removed from this neighborhood on Stardust. The contrast was too low, and it was right in the middle of the quilt, so it looked vacant.

The before view.
...vacant and wanting more oomph.

The new and improved center with darker stars. I left a few lighter ones on the one orb, since it was fading nicely off the left edge.



The completed Stardust. I think it will hang horizontally. Click for a larger image.

17 comments:

  1. 9 Leaves looks for me in such a way so peacefull - it is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. a simple branch done so beautifully. very calming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stardust and I like it horizontal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:30 AM

    Beautiful and a binding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:01 AM

    Both quilts are wonderful. Nine Leaves is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:02 AM

    I don't know why I came up as anonymous...haven't had coffee yet...it's me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them both. The drama of that long bare stem with the nine leaves at the top is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the hand embroidered detail on the leaves on your art quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love 9 Leaves, especially the embroidery on the leaves. It has a peaceful feeling to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:54 AM

    I am so impressed with the stardust quilt/wallhanging. How did you attach all the pieces, by machine or hand? I am told I do excessive amount of quilting/hand work and this looks like something I would love to try.
    Sheri for Saskatchewan,Canada
    ps. winters are long and I like to hibernate after work and sew.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the way Stardust is evolving....how are you going to quilt it....that is all ways the question for me...how to quilt.

    Nine leaves is so colorful....how do you come up with so many different designes?

    Good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous Darlinks,
    See this post for the answers:
    http://fibermania.blogspot.com/2006/08/reinspired-matchstick-moons-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabamundo! Stardust is very VanGogh, but without the angst. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:23 PM

    I read your blog almost every day because you make such beautiful quilts. I love the color combinations you use. Your cross series is one of my favorites and now "9 Leaves" is another one. As a matter of fact, if you look closely it forms a cross as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love, love, love this quilt. It is beautiful and awe-inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Mrs. Mel! Stardust is so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com