Friday, September 01, 2006

A Walk Around the Estate


OK, that's a little extravagant, but it seems like the Abundance of the summer deserves some accolades. Here we have Sweet Autumn Clematis about to burst into bloom.

The first opened blossom.

This is what it looks like when they all open, which will take a day or two. We call this Cousin It.

The basil is towering and really, I simply must make pesto today!

Autumn Glory Sedum is starting to turn pink and is taller than we have ever seen it, since we had so much rain this summer. Thank You, God.

Two kinds of clematis climb us this arbor, Jackmanii and Sweet Autumn, as if we didn't have enough...

Not to mention the overgrown Baptisia, which bloomed in June.

Our little Magnolia grew four feet this year, and will have to fill out some or risk a pruning.

Dave transplanted our hydrangea because they never bloomed, and the new spot under the pines did the trick! So they are supposed to be blue, but our soil is not acid enough.

This one hasn't turned pink yet, but it still has time.

Another volunteer clematis. I will have to pull this one out.


Speaking of volunteers, this morning glory has been reseeding itself for seven years. We always pull them out upon discovery but this one got away from us. The bumblebee is having a nice breakfast inside the top blossom.
Mmmm, sounds like a good idea!

6 comments:

  1. OH YAY I've been wondering how in the world to identify that little white flower! It grew wild on my neighbors fence that connects my yard! Its beautiful and now I know what it is :) thank you! xoxo melzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make me jealous will you. You've seen my flatland, back forty that I am calling a yard. And there you are with all the beauty while I have to take solice in the gardeh at the McDonald's drive through.
    But you just wait till next year.
    HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that beauty to inhale! You certainly have a "green thumb". We planted a "Passion Vine" a couple years ago. It has taken over its trellis and set shoots 10 feet away in another area of the planting strip...go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that clematis. I used to run on a path where it bloomed every August, and I'd look forward to it every year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy oh boy does that make me homesick!
    But thanks for posting the changes in your yard. Now I can dream....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:16 PM

    Oh, it looks wonderful. I miss the lush growth of the midwest. I live at 7000 feet in northern Arizona. Tomato growing season is mid-May to late August and since it is so arid, nothing really grows too well. But, we have no bugs and lots of blue sky. Thanks for letting me see your wonderful gardens.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com