Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Related Structures













Do you see the relationship in all these pieces? The structure or layout is a cross. You may see it as a ninepatch, which it also is, but in essence, most of my work has been based on this format.

THIS IS NEWS TO ME!
I just discovered this fact in the night. Yup. I was up at 2:30 again trying to crack this nut. I got an idea and had to sketch. I swear my subconscious does all my design work and then makes me wake up to put it on paper.

I had been trying to use the cross as a block to make work and it was never working like I wanted it too. Something was not me in all this, and a little too formulaic for my processes ( too hard to explain here).
There are lots of sites on the web with paintings and I always find myself wandering in the places that have lots of abstract stuff and collecting images and printing them out. I carry them around and nothing happened with them until the middle of the night awakening.
Now I get the attraction. The layout of the paintings is also a division of space that I respond to consistently.
Well. Now I get it. The stuff I want and NEED to do is within the format I have always loved, and never recognised. A GREAT BIG DUH.
I sketched four composition in four minutes and can't wait to get going. I am HAPPY.


7 comments:

  1. This is rich content indeed! The stuff that art is made of...dreams, symbols (the cross is everywhere), your personal mythology, chakra color brilliance. Wheweee! No wonder you are flying. No wonder your work is humming. And thank goodness we don't have to analyze and look for meanings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't ya' love it when you get all energized and can't sleep and everything just pours out? Once it's out, you can sleep... it's great. (And I love the tic-tac-toe scribbly one.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:25 AM

    Well, this is obviously why I love your work because I love this shape, too. I call it working in the grid - sometimes it is true and sometimes wonky. It was so cool to see all your work lined up and to see that grid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:56 PM

    Ok...while your blog is wonderful for entertainment and education, not to mention inspiration, I have to declare it WAYYYYY TOOOO FATTENING! I have been catching up and, despite the fact that I have already eaten dinner, I find myself drooling and my stomach growling, as I read your blog. I sure wish my husband could tolerate Mexican food as I love it!!

    I have found that there IS a good use for kids besides draining your bank account and giving one gray hair....IF the local ski slope opens by Friday (a very real possibility) I will be taking my son and a couple of his buddies out to go snowboarding and I will be taking my knitting along. Sure wish you had gotten me back into it LAST year so I could have done a lot while sitting in the bar at Marquette Mountain (tho, given the number of Bloody Marys and Jello Shooters consumed, maybe it's better I wasn't knitting then). Still, I am nearly done with sock #2 of pair #4......AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT.....

    teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what comes to mind when I see all of this stuff? The quote "Where ever you go, there you are."

    Here you are, looking for a series and chunks of color, and you've been working in that direction and style and structure all along.

    Isn't it amazing how the things we love and the things we have to do just come out of us, whether we know it or not?

    You are so... YOU. It's wonderful. I love all of these pieces (and, if you don't mind my saying, I find them much stronger than the ones in the previous post.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:36 AM

    book border cafe storehttp://www.bordersbookstore.infoA train station is where the trains stop, a bus station is where the bus stops, on my desk i have a work station.book border cafe store

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:04 PM

    Enjoyed the blog - great late deal. A new site has been launched with plenty of bargain holidays to choose from. Bookmark http://www.bargainplace.co.uk not just for bargain holidays but for flights and transport to and from airports plus travel insurance deals and holiday clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com