Friday, July 29, 2005

Fused Backs?

Dear Melody,
I'm curious - - what do you do on your pieces that are entered in shows? Do they have fused backs also? I seem to remember something about a pillow case finish. What about the bindings? Judges in shows around here would be VERY unhappy that the quilting doesn't go all the way through to the back. They complain when the mitered corner of a stitched on binding isn't tacked down - I wonder how they would respond to a fused one? Cardiac arrest for sure.

Dear Curious,
The fronts or the art side of my quilts are all fused. I don't fuse the backs onto my competition quilts, just the slit where I turn them inside out is fused. See the link on the sidebar, The Escape Hatch Finish. I don't do bindings, so there is nothing available for a judge's comment. So far it has not been noted, but then, honestly, I toss out the judge's comments without reading them.
I am content just to have the ribbon and the check. If those are not included I am, how shall I say this?...Pissed!

More to the point, I am very careful about what shows I am entering and make sure that the show has a non-tradtional category. There would be no point in competing against those who are making something law-abiding quilt-wise.

On the other hand, sometimes a quilt like mine, or from other non-traditionalists needs to be seen in tradition bound venue, if only for the sake of education.
Those who have a need for something different need to know it is out there and can be done.

8 comments:

  1. Hm. I don't know if I read it from you or not, but for non-competition pieces, I have been telling folks that it was your idea to fuse the back on after quilting. I like the idea, others like the idea, and no judges get to say they hate the idea, so why NOT give you credit for it> >;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really only fuse the backs on tiny works, like the 5x7" ones done in June. Otherwise I just use the strip of fusible at the slit opening.
    I think Robbi Eklow fuses her backs, and I know for sure that Sue Benner does, so they can have the credit, since they do and I usually don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK...that makes me feel better as I "kind of" fused the back recently.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com