Friday, May 16, 2014

Getting Started on the New Street Series



It's been quite a while since I made the Street Series, and worked in a 12" format. To get myself in the zone, I decided to analyze the layouts of some of the pieces, in black and white. So, I drew out the ones that appealed the most to me. These quick sketches just record the shapes and lines of the pieces, without regard to the fabric color and hopefully remind me what I did, without copying them exactly.
Now I feel ready to begin.
I plan to pull analogous colors and a contrasting color for each composition, hoping to find some really interesting dyed fabrics in my stash...I WILL!
For this series I will begin by cutting my batting to size, which seems like the last thing I usually do, but it will remind me what I am aiming at. The compositions will be constructed on my teflon sheet and when the tops are finished (one inch larger than the finished size) the (excess) edges will be folded over the batting and fused. This will make a sharp edge, with no binding. Then a backing fabric will be fused over the ends and voila, a neat finish. I love this method of finishing.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with it! I am very curious what it will become....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you come up with---I know that it will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com