Friday, May 10, 2013

Cozy Mel

Cozy Mel,
hand dyed and commercial cottons, machine pieced, machine quilted, as you go. 74.5x76.5"


I tried several different orientations, and one is as good as another, so I just shot this version because the border was more visible. Happy to have this finished, and my back healing up finally. It made quilting it a delay-filled process. I could only do four or five hours at a time, and then had trouble standing up after sitting in one place for so long. It's horrible to get old!




Thinking I could get better actual color outdoors, I tried hanging it with skirt hangers from a curtain rod. It was raining, and windy, so I didn't have good luck until I brought it back inside and pinned it to my wall.

There is a lot of unintentional wonkiness to the quilting, but you don't notice it when you are five feet away, on a galloping horse.


Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

  1. Really nice, every view is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Wonkiness? ehh...who cares? I love the asymmetry and the way it looks on the bed.

    "Getting old is not for sissies." I'm going to go see if I can find out who originated that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It apparently was Bette Davis. There are some other great quotes from her at http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Bette_Davis/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's pure happiness! How fun to sleep under that!
    I'm lucky to sit and sew for an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Real springtime colours. Should be reds and oranges and yellows and browns where we are...but our turn will come. BTW...I can't ride horses for nuts...and still struggle to see wonkiness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this one....and any wonkiness, intentional or not, just adds to the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations,it is just lovely. Enjoy it for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I see a new work from you I think, oh, this is my favorite. Yep, I think this IS my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really looks great on the bed! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Outstanding original design and unusual colour combinations. Fine work, Melody.

    ReplyDelete
  11. fabulous colors and layout and I wanted to tell you that I really enjoy your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Getting old sure beats the alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your last line slayed me.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YIKES! It took me ages to see the snake! I saw what I expected to see ... a piece of coiled rope! I presume it is harmless, or your Knight in shining armour would have been called to help... am I correct?

    I love the quilt, the unevenness makes it, IMHO.
    Hope the back is 100% very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com