Tuesday, March 14, 2006


Three starts and no finishes!

This is so unlike me. I always finish a pair of socks before I start another, but apparently I was distracted...Well yeah. I decided to join the Red Socks ring and looked for some red yarn to take along on the plane. I didn't have any suitable red sock yarn, and I planned to get some when I left for California, so I grabbed this Regia...I think it is Regia 6ply.




Due to the Yarn Harlot's disaffection with variegated yarns and their insistence on striping any which way they want, I have adopted a similar discontent. However, the sock feels wonderful on the foot and I know it washes and dries better than most, so I guess I will knit the second sock of the pair.

But O! I had to bring along this Trekking which I got in a blog-trade for some of my hand dyed Kona Superwash sock yarn. I was the winner by far! Isn't this unbelievably beautiful? It is like Noro Kureyon in the way it is spun, but of course it is sock weight. I am crazed with happiness at the ur, sublety of its stripiness. And it has red in it, so there.




While in Wisconsin on the retreat last week we had to go to Ruhama's yarn shop in the Milwaukee environs and I grabbed this hand dyed yarn to make a new sock pattern. Of course I had to begin it that very day.


I saw a sample sock and was mystified and intrigued, or I just got a bad case of the wannas...I wanna make this sock. I had to purchase a pattern and not having the presence of mind to read the first several lines, I didn't notice that it was MERELY a cuff knit sideways and then the rest of the sock is like the same as every stinkin' sock I ever knit.

These are not my feet. These are professional model feet.

Basically you knit this with two colors, changing every three rows and then do a three needle bindoff to finish the cuff.
However the picture looks like there are two different ways to do the heel which will be interesting if I can force myself to read the directions. It's difficult when you are a Ms. Knowitall like I am.


heels

5 comments:

  1. I love all the socks! You have so much more variety in yarn in the States - I have only seen Opal sock yarn here. You'd think that with 40 million sheep and only 4 million people we'd have more choice. And we can't get Koigu and other yummy variegated yarn, either. Guess I'll just have to make my own!

    Shirley in New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the socks and could quite happily wear the two different colourways at the same time though have to admit I have a passion for purple. Can we expect you to pose like that when photographing your socks in future?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working on my own sock #2 out of the same Trekking yarn. Mine are fraternal twins--couldn't figure out the repeat. Knits up nicely but it's fine--lots of knitting in a pair of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, bliss... beautiful sock yarn pictures. Ahhh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:52 AM

    Oh, man! Swoonworthy socks! Please tell us about the pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com